Sunday, December 4, 2011

Parade and Costume Party

Today as I was going to church, I saw three things of interest. The first was all the new snow on Mt. Fuji. The snow is getting lower and lower on the mountains. This picture doesn't do it any justice, but the mountain looked awesome. As somewhat of a mountain aficionado, I must say that Fuji might take the cake for my favorite...
Mind you that this picture was taken as I was driving...
As I got off the train, this happened. I have no words to describe it. Apparently the gentleman in the white is a captain of something. I think the people in the suits are gods or demigods of some kind. They were celebrating the first day of...I got nothing. They are advertising "Suica," which is a passcard that you can use on the trains. Suica is Japanese for watermelon. London has the Oyster card, Japan has the Suica. Why does public transit have to involve food items? 
On my way back, I was talking to my parents and I saw this...a parade of people over 50 (I suppose it is fitting that I am talking about bus schedules in the background). I recognized one of the guys in the crowd, but I can't remember where it was that I know him from. I only know like 100 people in a country of 100 million, and I can't remember where I have seen him before. For some reason, there was a marching band of children associated with this crowd. They were also wearing yellow, which may or may not be associated with the dancing stuffed animals and the captain dressed in white. 

3 comments:

Kate said...

And Hong Kong has the 'Octopus' card, which the Oyster card was based on. And not sure why it's cool to name them after sea creatures/edible items.

Liz said...

You should climb Fuji while you're there. Put Stu's Cedar Mountain climbin' to shame.

janemkinsel said...

A milestone for you...recognizing/differentiating Japanese faces...especially older ones!!