Monday, October 31, 2011

Stark White and Startling

I know this may come as a shock to most of you, but I am white. Like really white. I am also pretty bald, which makes the whiteness (or redness depending on the season) of my head stand out. I am also what I would consider average height (although I have no basis for comparison). I had a realization today that was both startling and stunning (useless parenthetical comment). 

As I finished school lunch today, I stood up and walked the length of the lunchroom to return the little card with my name on it to the lady who takes the little cards with your name on it. As a side note, my name is in Japanese, and it is followed by the Kanji for sensei. I am sure that one of the things I will miss most about Japan is being called Jeff-sensei. What was I saying? Oh yeah. So I walked the length of the lunchroom and had my startling realization. I am the only whitest, tallest and baldest person in the room. I double-checked by standing tall and walking past some of the taller people and in fact, I am the tallest person. No where besides Japan have I had that distinction. I also realized how little I take into account race...or so I thought.

After work, I stopped by my local grocery store to procure food and sundries for the preparation of meals. As I was there in between the kimchi and bread I came across a stunning realization. I walked by a mirror that was on a pillar in the middle of the store and saw my reflection as I passed (now you know why it was stunning). I kind of jumped a little at seeing such a tall white person in the store. It totally caught me off guard. After realizing it was me and doing a few curls with my shopping basket, it occurred to me that I don't see myself as looking any different than the other people in the store. After all, I can't see myself when I walk, so in my mind, I feel like I fit right in. Then I see a mirror and realize I don't. 


6 comments:

Liz said...

Cue music...."Who is this girl I see? Staring straight, back at me?...." I feel like you just had that moment.

Liz said...

Also, I had a similar experience of feeling like I fit in when I really don't in first grade when I realized I was the only one who wore the same pair of jeans and shirt everyday. Happened while looking in a mirror and noticing the girl next to me wasn't covered in dirt and I was.

Jeff Kinsel said...

I can't decide, but im pretty sure quoting mulan in japan makes you offensive to 2 cultures. I have to stop myself from singing honor to us all.

Liz, your stories...are just...yeah.

janemkinsel said...

I feel that way about being old. I am surrounded by younger teachers and of course, kids. I think I am like them, but I am positive they don't think they are like me.

A little special ed ran up to me and said "Hi Grandma" Guess that is my mirror!

janemkinsel said...

This is a really interesting experience. Now, when you start thinking in Japanese you will have truly "gone native" as they used to say in the days of the British Empire...

Dad

JM said...

I remember getting so tired of being looked at that it was a relief to go back to the apartment and just be "off."

In my mind, I'm still in my early 30's and then I remember I'm not...