Saturday, August 6, 2011

Primer on Japanese Bugs

So...Just in case you didn't catch it before...Japan is mostly a tropical island...that has snow. Confusing? Yes. Most of the time, my house is full of bugs. I have been collecting some of the pictures of the bugs that terrify me on a regular basis. Luckily, there are no mukade. What is a mukade? This is a mukade:

 This is absolutely terrifying. They are poisonous (not lethal) and they like the dark. No thank you. We don't have these though. 
 We do have this large spider that builds webs like a champion.
 This is another, bigger spider that I saw and when I got close to take a picture, it started dropping and I think it said something offensive to me. It is dang scary. We have some spiders that are called Huntsman spiders (that I guess they have in Australia as well). They are big but not poisonous. Evidently all the spiders in Japan are non-lethal and most aren't poisonous. Something about being an island or something...I don't know. 
 On to other annoying and less terrifying bugs. This is a cicada (on the left side of the ladder, you can see the big wings). They amek an awful ruckus that ensures that I don't sleep past 10 am because they and all their buddies are making noise. 
 This is a dead one I found, From nose to tip they are about 3.5 inches long. 
And finally, the super crunchy Japanese Beetle. I saw this at the train station and it is was huge. It is roughly the size of my old cell phone. I am told that the kids gather these and fight them against each other. 

Not appearing are the fruit flies that have invaded my house, gnats that are EVERYWHERE, 7 or 8 different kinds of moths outside my house every day and a terrifying cricket that looked like something from the movie Starship Troopers. I am not a bug person, but I am learning to ignore them. Except mukade, if i ever see one of those, I'm coming home. 

5 comments:

janemkinsel said...

I guess Cyndi will never visit you! WE had Japanese beetles in Tennessee and they absolutely raided the foilage, esp. roses. They have had a big eradication project in provo (certain areas) imported infestation.

Fruit flies...something food wise in the apt.
Other wildlife...
Snakes? Bears? Deer? Racoons? Dogs? Raptors?
Song birds?

Anonymous said...

I totally think you need to host a giant beetle fighting party- that sounds awesome. Oh- and paint its shell with flames or something scary :)

mak

Anonymous said...

I dont see a single pokemon on this list, wtf?

RBK

Anonymous said...

WE had fruit flies last year after bringing in a box of peaches to can. I learned an awesome way to get rid of them. Roll a piece of paper into a cone with the pointy end being a really tiny hole. Put a piece of fruit into the bottom of a see through cup or jar and place the cone (pointy side in) into the cup and tape around the edges to seal it. Fruit flies will be attracted to the smell and find their way in, but can't get back out. It was amazing, and the boys got a huge kick out of it. The kitchen was cleared in a few days. Cyndi

Liz said...

^^^Hahahahaha! Pokemon--love it.