Saturday, May 26, 2012

Nature...Awesome and Terrible

Mother Nature and I have had 2 or 3 memorable runins over the last week or so. I will fill you in. 

First: The Good
I figured I would finally go and visit the waterfall that I have lived less than a mile from for 10 months. 
A second picture of the bridge I walked across to get there. I just walked from my house. It was kind of a long walk and all uphill one way. The bridge was kind of terrifying. It was terrifying because I have no doubt that I am the heaviest person to ever walk across it, and because there were spider webs and nests all across it. Never fear! I prevailed!
Nice right? Seems like a crazy thing to be thrown so haphazardly out there. No fanfare, just a waterfall near a road. 
A view from the top of the path. This was the second part of the falls.
Oh...now for the terrifying. I was getting ready to take a shower and saw this 8-legged vessel of hate brooding down at me from the corner. Yay me...Luckily I shower all the time with a can of bug spray. I don't know what I did to make the animal kingdom (or insect kingdom) so angry, but they seem to really hate me.
For my 4th encounter with the evil that seems to to inhabit my home...I got a video of it. You can see how much of a high roller I am because I throw 20's down on the floor as a mat for spider genocide. Ugh.

On the plus side, I have discovered what would be a good training for people in law enforcement and bomb squads. Put them in a space and unleash a whole bunch of spiders and tell them they have to find them. I now look all around whenever I enter the room. When I get in the shower, I do a visual sweep of all the relevant areas. I assess the threats as they arise and (as shown above) dispatch them with extreme prejudice and no small amount of freaking out.


I hate this country sometimes. 

1 comment:

Liz said...

Dude it looks huge in the shower. I do the same thing in our house--the sweep of all likely places when I enter a room. Even though we rarely have them anymore, the first five months of living in our house we killed about 6 spiders a day. It just has a way of training you.