Friday, March 23, 2012

Ninja Changes and Hanger Boomerangs

As I have mentioned before, no one tells me anything at work (primarily because we don't speak the same language). I knew we had our closing ceremonies today, but no one told me anything about them. I was initially a little concerned that I should have worn my suit, but I dismissed that thought when I saw all the teachers in the usual track suits. As the time draws closer to go to the closing ceremony (the 5th goodbye formality in the last 2 weeks, with one more next week), I see that some teachers aren't in the room. I figure I should saunter on down to the gym (which is unheated and was no warmer than 38 degrees).

As I am leaving the teacher room, I see one of the teachers unzip the top of his track suit to reveal a freaking suit. Seriously. I have said that I haven't seen any ninjas in Japan yet, despite what popular television taught me. I can say now that I have seen ninjas in Japan, but they hone their craft into being able to change in 45 seconds. The guy that I saw in full track suit earlier? Miraculously in white pants, shirt, tie and a blue blazer. The only thing giving them away is the fact that they all still wear sneakers with their suits. 


If you want to know what it is like to live in Japan. Picture that drinking bird. We all know it, the bird that pitches forward and then pops back up, then pitches forward again. This simple toy explains 60% of Japanese formal occasions. Bow. Wait. Bow again. Walk 3 steps. Bow. Wait. Bow again. Repeat. 

This ceremony was no different. Lots of bowing and waiting. Did I mention it was cold? I have no idea what the speeches were about, but I think the principal was mad or something at someone for something. I can't be sure. For all I know, he was telling them they were the best students ever, but the whole thing felt like a funeral. A really cold funeral, maybe for a yeti or something. 

I did catch one gem from the speeches. The science teacher (maybe? I just know he wears a white overcoat sometimes) was speaking and then he held up a hanger. A regular wire hanger. He held it up over his head while saying things in Japanese. The next thing I heard him say was boomerang. I am sure this was an object lesson of some sort, as they are similarly shaped. I don't know what he said, but I know what I would say:

The future rests on you! Like clothes rest on this hanger, you must bear the weight of the future. Also, you are kind of shaped like a boomerang. Boomerangs come back when you throw them. So. Come back...because you are the future. Thank you. 

3 comments:

Liz said...

A) Why the heck would you put a track suit over a dress suit? It can't make it any more comfortable.
B)I would like to be present when you give that graduation speech.

JM said...

Wise words, Jeff.

Can't wait for your Korea trip posts!

Mak said...

Wow. Just think how much LESS fun these things would be if you knew what they heck they were saying. Then you couldn't come up with your own commentary. Although, I bet the coldness sucks the fun out of everything...