Friday, March 9, 2012

That's How I Got One Less Tooth

So I went to the dentist this week. I was naturally paranoid about going to a place with drills when I can't tell them when to stop. Also, I have seen some teeth of my fellow workers and I was not inspired. I went in with some understandable reservations. I went in and they x-rayed my mouth to see what the tooth was all about. All the machinery seemed like the same as it was in the U.S. but it tasted funny. I can't explain it, but it seemed to taste like 1981, and I wasn't even alive then. 

4 dentist chairs were in one room with no dividers. I was originally waiting in my car for my translator to show up, but I made eye contact with one of the ladies inside and had no choice but to go in. After perusing the Japanese comic books and adorning my dentist slippers, we did the medical evaluation form. I just realized that this is kind of out of order. Oh well. The dentist conveyed in Japanese that I just needed a filling under the crown and that they could get it done in one day. 

Luckily for me, I had a root canal on that tooth, so I didn't have to chance anesthesia. They started filling in the tooth and things went well. I never thought about how difficult it is to not make eye contact with the person with a drill in your mouth. In any case, the dentist was trying to put a divider between my two molars so he could put in the filling. The teeth are pretty close together, and after 4 tries, I guess he figured that it was no longer necessary. 

Evidently he just decided that he didn't need to divide the teeth. So he just filled them in together. Yep, he bred one super tooth in my mouth. I asked him how I would floss (because dentists are all about that), and he told me that I couldn't floss that tooth. I would have to use these little flossy dealies on that one tooth for the rest of...my life. If I floss it regularly, it will just fall out...


So now my bite feels funny, and I have a supertooth. I haven't gone through all the tests, but it has the potential to be 30 to 40 times stronger than regular teeth. I am gonna be like this guy:
Look out Mr. Bond. 

Ultimately, I can't complain. The entire thing cost me less than $20. Not too bad if you don't count the $200 a month I pay for insurance. 

1 comment:

Liz said...

Duh--I would be kinda mad. I'm not okay with people sealing my teeth together without me knowing about it. But on the bright side, maybe you'll be in Ripley's believe it or not someday.