Sunday, April 15, 2012

Street Market and Things That Didn't Fit

So I have a bunch of pictures that don't have a home. Here I will just throw in the things that don't fit. It is like a flea market of posts with pictures. Speaking of fleas...
 I saw this little flea trap outside of a museum. It was basically the saddest bird I have ever even heard of. The bird had one leg with half the toes gone. I don't know what happened, but this little thing was just stumbling around apparently wanting for food. I went to get some food and it flew away. I saw it a few more times and each time felt sad. It goes well with that otter with the missing foot I saw earlier in Busan. 
 While walking through the foreigner section of town, I saw this fine tailor shop. This guy has made custom suits for very illustrious people. Up there on top is Steven Seagal (who you will remember I supposedly look like), and underneath is Magic Johnson. 
 Right next to my hostel was the Hello Kitty cafe. I was going to get some pictures inside, but what am I gonna do with a 5$ latte? 
 I took a picture of someone getting their picture taken. 
 As I was walking out of the main train station in Seoul, I saw a bunch of people standing around waiting to cut a ribbon into a building that was already in use. There was also a really bizarre band playing. I say bizarre because there were two witches playing. It turned out they were not witches, just ladies playing the Theramin. The Theramin has got to be the most insane musical instrument in the world. Period. Check out the video here: 
It's like you are a wizard of crazy with this legendary machine. 
 I went to the worlds most densely packed streets full of crap. Yep. The markets in Seoul are just jam-packed with stuff to buy. 
There was a whole street dedicated to hair accessories. 
 A building next to the market. 
 I am all sorts of classy. 
 The counterfeit version of Minnie Mouse on the street. Nice right? It was actually incredibly terrifying. 
 There was an even more cramped and dense market underneath the surface street where you could visit the U.S. black market. Imagine the black market if it existed. Shady with street vendors and you have this place. I had to be sneaky with the taking of pictures. Here you could buy all the American products sold by people who had purchased them on the military base and sold them to these shop owners. They had pretzels, peanut butter, peanuts, jelly and candy bars. It was crazy. 
Look at the lady with the comically large sunglasses in the background. Not a real lady. In actuality, it is a robot that bows to people as they pass. Sounds cool right? False. It is all sorts of weird.  
 Creepalicious.
 So many people and so much crap. 
South Korea: Land of counterfeit goods!
 The headquarters (maybe?) of the postal service. Cool building right? 
 The Bank of Korea Museum. I was going to go in, but it was closed. I figure I didn't miss anything much> I mean...it's a museum of a bank. It can't be that interesting. 
 I decided to head out and find the Seoul Temple. It was on a hill in the middle of a random neighborhood not far from where I was staying. You can see in this picture a golden man standing on a pillar off over the rooftops. 
 The sign for the temple.
 It was a neat temple, but small. 
 It was basically like a big meetinghouse in the states. Granted it was in the middle of a city of 10 million, so I guess you can't complain. 
The Captain of Pirates. Found him! He owns a bar.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Please come home with a sacrament meeting number prepared on the theramin

Mak said...

That temple looks like the dallas temple. Both of them remind me of Space Mountain at Disneyland (that thought occured to me last time I was at the Dallas Temple). You know, they are all grey and have big pointy spires all over.. Anyway- That minnie was seriously scary. Oh, and I knew about the theramin because of Yo Gabba Gabba- that's how freaky that show is- they teach kids about the theramin.