Friday, April 6, 2012

Busan-dy Beaches and The Terrifying Ocean

Busan is the famous port city of South Korea. It was the last bastion held by the allied forces when North Korea attacked in 1950. Sometimes called Pusan, either spelling is ok. I don't know why. The most famous beach in Korea is in Busan. The beach is called Haeundae beach, and my hostel was about two blocks away...but why take my word for it in written form when you can take it in video form?


I really liked this ad for the Mini. That is a full size car parked on that building there.  

On the beach there is an aquarium (that is entirely underground for some reason). I decided to go in and reinforce my longstanding fear/hatred of the ocean. Consider my anti-aquatic convictions reaffirmed. 
Turtles and fishes.
Playful otters. I don't know why this was a theme, but this was the first of several one-footed animal encounters. One of these otters had a missing foot. It was really kind of sad. I happened to show up while they were feeding them. 
 Only the classiest of piranha tanks in Seoul. You can see the human bones there in the bottom. Surprisingly, there was no top on the tank...just a sign that said "Don't put your hand in the water."  
 Saw these little buggers. Reminded me of crawdads...I am pretty sure they are related...or the exact same. 
 Harder to see, but these are scorpions that glow in the dark. 
 I am not sure if the penguins are jackasses, or if it is Engrish. Either way, it is hilarious. 
 I saw this fish in the blowfish tank. I don't think I could imagine a stupider looking fish. You can almost here it saying 'Der...'
This is the jellyfish tank. These guys are evidently not poisonous or anything, but I still don't want to encounter them in the wild. 
 An eel coming out of the sand...I have eaten this guys cousin. Take that ocean kingdom!
 Electric eel. The recording said it was not actually an eel, but some kind of other thing that looks exactly like an eel. Also, this one was about 4 feet long. NO THANK YOU!
Stop 2 on the hall of horrors: the giant ocean crab. The legspan of these nightmare wardens is up to 12 feet. 
A giant jellyfish whose tentacle things can extend for 6 feet. Also it looks like a neon light...which makes it more and less fearsome at the same time. 
I totally ate this guys cousin while I was in Korea. Luckily these particular giant monsters live off the coast of Washington State. 
A rare sight indeed! The Manfish.
Of course the underwater hall of horrors would not be complete without an up-close encounter with a Great White or two.
 After the aquarium, I emptied out into the food court. Popeyes Chicken!
 Much to my dismay, they were closed. I was really looking forward to some Cajun style cookin'. 
 Aqua Hyundai. Those are water plants and fish near that steering wheel. 
 Somehow this is a compelling advertisement for Hyundai. Maybe they are going to introduce amphibious cars.
Always remember kids: Keep off the Grass and Save the Finless Porpoise. 




What is a Finless Porpoise? Glad you asked...

2 comments:

CKW said...

ALL penguins are jackasses. Ask anyone.

Liz said...

Wait, were those real human bones? i don't put anything past those asians.