Sunday, April 8, 2012

The South of South Korea Part Two

Day two in Busan...or somewhere thereabouts. I was on vacation time, so all the days kind of blend into one super fun time. I do remember my feet being tired pretty much constantly. Many videos following.
 As I was eating lunch, I stumbled on this treasure. If you have ever seen the TV show, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, this is familiar. There was a random bar in Busan that just stole the logo and the name and put it right on the side of their building. Evidently it was the name. Korea likes to take western things without licensing them. 
Odd to say the least. 
 I posted this picture on Facebook also, but I found a Krispy Kreme donut stand in one of the malls. This is a New York Cheesecake donut. Delicious right? It totally was. 
 I saw a bakery in the grocery section of the World's Largest Department Store. It reminded my of my friend Liz Day...because her last name was Day. If she ever decided to open a bakery with a sibling or something, this is what the name should be. That, or "Day In, Day Out." Actually, it would be better if you ran a hotel and called it "Day Inn and Day Out." When the guests leave, instead of checking out, they could "Day Out." Whenever you enter and exit a room, you should also say "Day In, Day Out" accordingly. Just my thoughts. 
 Diet Coke. Kind of. More like Light Coke. It wasn't the same, but it was closer than Coke Zero. I tried to drink my body weight in it before I left. I almost succeeded. 
The video explains itself. True to my word, I went to Papa John's that night. 
A view around.
 Aside from terrifying the people in the restaurant, it was pretty good. I walked in, and they seemed genuinely alarmed. Either they aren't used to tourists in Busan, or I am terrifying, but people would stare constantly at me on subways and in public. It was kind of rude because they would have conversations and point as well. The pizza itself was really good. It had the right toppings with no corn and other garbage on it. They also brought out nacho cheese!
 Then they brought out the side of pickles...so close Korea...so close. Needless to say, I didn't eat any of that garbage. 
 I also went to the fish market. I had heard that it was worth a stop, and I think it was. It was really interesting...people pulling off the skins of eels like they were banana peels, and some guy punching an octopus into submission (true story). 

 Outside the fish market, they have a statue of a fish fishing. Irony? Cannibalism? 
Here is a whole tour around. About the one minute mark, you see the guy who punched the octopus. At the very end, you see a paralyzed man dragging himself through the market pushing a boombox. He was asking for money. It was a little creepy. 
 Some guys were fishing for fish near the fish market. They didn't appear to be trying very hard though. I wonder if they catch octopus here. 

I also went to the World's Largest Department Store as I mentioned earlier. Here is a video:
I actually went into a not-so-impressive department store thinking it was the biggest in the world. After looking around, it was clear that it was not the biggest. I eventually found the real one (which is connected to the other one). You can see me discovering that this was the biggest in this next clip. 
Yup.
This was the not impressive store. See how much less big it was?
On top of the buildings. 
Discovering my musical muse. 
I went to a movie in the World's Biggest Department Store and checked out the skyline at night. I went to Wrath of the Titans. It was wonderfully mediocre, but it didn't cost 22 dollars like the theaters in Japan. It was normal price! Oh Korea, how I love thee!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Mmmmm...the pizza and donut look really good. In case you forgot, I could eat pizza like every day.
Business idea=golden. And I'm sure Days Inn will have absolutely no problems with me using their name as half of my Inn's name. Nope, no prob there.

Kate said...

That pizza looks pretty good. Sometimes they put corn on pizza here as well. Crazy. I'm loving reading about your adventures!