Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Wonders and Horrors

I have collected some wonders and horrors over the month of June. Check this out. I will start (as usual) with the horrors. 


I know that I have said some spiders were huge before, but this one takes the cake. Sorry the video is a little long, but it is worth it. I saw this demonspawn when I was brushing my teeth. Ick. 


These...are awesome. I found some Doritos that were flavored like salami. They are supposed to be served with beer, but they are pretty delicious. 


I didn't try these bad boys...The flavor? Anchovies and Garlic. I am all about the garlic, but anchovies can kick rocks. 


I got this to commemorate my sister who lives in England. British Lemon tonic. I decided to try it. Turns out it is TERRIBLE! Seriously. It was pure lemon and carbonation. It was akin to drinking Pine-Sol.


On to the even more awesome! I took a day off to visit Fuji-Q Highland. It was all sorts of wonderful. this is the view from the parking lot. 


I didn't ride this rollercoaster, because it looked lame. 


Unlicensed Disney usage on this park. The boat rocks back and forth, but it is for kids...not men like me. 


Big Red here is a rollercoaster that you would wrap your head around. Unfortunately it was closed that day...it super sucked. 


Also the carousel was closed. Here you can see the carousel...totally devoid of magic. 


This coaster is called Fujiyama. It previously held the record for the longest steel coaster. That was back in the day though...it no longer is the longest in the world. 


Speaking of world records...


This ride is called Takabisha. It is the world record holder for most inverted free fall. The angle of freefall is 120 degrees. It is pretty scary. They stop you at the precipice for a while and let you look down at the lack of track below you. Then they take your picture. Then they drop you. Overall it wasn't my favoite because it had a lot of twists and inversions that hurt my head after a while. 


In reality, this is all I really wanted to show you. One ride destroyed all other rides with it's mighty powers. The ride is called Dodonpa. It was recommended to me to go on right at the beginning. The lines routinely get up to 2-3 hours per rides at Fuji-Q (because of Japan). I rode it 3rd and didn't really stop riding it. I rode this thing 5 times. It. Is. Amazing. 


Here you can see the course track for Dodonpa. It starts out rocketing you out of the gate, then a big turn and then straight up and down until you are pretty sure your internal organs are going to leak out of your nose. Accompanying the jelly-organs is an incredible sense of euphoria usually reserved for those who are dropping acid. 


Best 60 second ride in the world! This rollercoaster goes from 0-107mph in 1.8 seconds. 1.8!!! If you have been on California Screamin' at Disneyland, this is about 2x as fast. Imagine that. The first time I rode it, I didn't know what to expect. It is unlike any rollercoaster I have ever ridden. It is so terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. For those 1.8 seconds, your brain ceases to function and the air is pushed out of your lungs in a scream you didn't think was possible by anything other than a wolf-man. The air rushes past you so fast and so deafeningly that you can't even hear yourself scream. I didn't realize I was screaming until I got into the first bank and realized that I hadn't breathed since the ride started.


You can see Mt. Fuji peaking (get it?) over the top of the Launch Tube. 


Nice of Fuji to come out and say hello for a couple hours or so. 


In the park, they have a mini-Fuji you can climb in the shadow of the real Fuji...I don't know why. I think it brings love or something...maybe wrath. 


The video from the top of the mini-Fuji.


You can see just how dead this park was. Seriously, there should have been 10x as many people at the park. 


A great addition to the hall of terrible Japanese fashion. This guy looks like a literal clown. He is wearing capris with a sport coat and a fedora. George Michael and WAM! called and even they are embarrassed.


Don't forget the silver shoes. *Vomit*


A look at Dodonpa and Takabisha.


CHURRO! It was neither as expensive or as delicious as they are at Disneyland. 


I love this. Bending machine. It was supposed to be vending machine. 


I got some Dippin' Dots. I got the Strawbrry Cheese Cake flavor. I am more and more convinced that Dippin' Dots are awful. They are too cold, and it is supposed to be the 'Ice Cream of the Future." I used to believe that when I was 12. I am now 25, and I want to know what the new ice cream of the future is. 


They take your picture when you buy a ticket and you have to show it for each ride. I look really weird in this picture because the picture machine was about 4 feet tall. I had to bend down and get the picture taken...it was awkward. 


You can take a picture with a fake version of the ride with a fan blowing in your face to pretend like you are really on the ride. In the background are classic Japanese scenes. 


Entry 2 in the Japanese fashion hall of horrors. This fine specimen is a man. Yes, he is dressed like he is going to be sweating to the oldies in leopard print. Pink floral pants...and to top it off.....


Pink Toms. The kid that got the other free pair of Toms in a developing country wouldn't even wear the pink Toms. 


Entry 3 in the hall of horrors! The guy in this video has to be at least 59. He may be old, but boy is he cool! Right? Pink flip-flops. 


Don't I look happy? I had ridden about 15 roller coasters by this point and I am not entirely sure that my eyes aren't crossed. 


The white part you see in the picture is the up and down hill that Dodonpa takes at about 60mph. 


The final entry in the Japanese fashion hall of horrors. These are all men. Bleached hair, emo pants that are sagged down to their mid thigh. Google Japanese fashion, it will ruin your night. 

4 comments:

janemkinsel said...

Your reaction to the spider would have been mine to any of those roller coasters. Happy to have proof that you really are a BRAVE man!

Liz said...

That video was the best. I didn't think the spider looked that big until it climbed up on the wall. Bleh. I wish you wouldn't have said you have crossed eyes. I told you how unacceptable that is.

Kate said...

Thanks for drinking the Schwepps for me, but the one you drank is a mixer, for alcohol and such. Don't let it throw you off of all Schwepps, their lemonade (i.e. sprite) is pretty good.

CKW said...

I'm not going to bother googling Japanese fashion because you have already ruined my night with the video of the spider! Also, I agree with Liz. It looked a lot more impressive when it climbed the wall. Had I seen anything even close to that size while I was in Japan, I would have been on the first flight home. Brave, brave Jeffrey-san!