Saturday, July 30, 2011

Oh the Places You'll Go!

So we set off early in the morning for Yamanashi-ken to meet my supervisor and find the place where I would call my home. I was quite nervous as I left the relative comfort of the Keio Plaza Hotel. As we started driving, I looked out the window and my whole world and outlook the second I saw these mountains.

Now you may be thinking (like me) that this looks like you have landed in Jurassic Park. You wouldn't be far off. Turns out Japan is pretty much a tropical island. It is all sorts of terribly humid, and at times the capitol of Yamanashi, Kofu is the hottest place in Japan. So it is sticky and hot. I saw these mountains covered in green and really realized that I was somewhere new. 

We spent the rest of the day doing paperwork, going to the grocery store and driving on the left side of the road. I got to my apartment/townhouse out in the backwoods up the mountain from Kofu. I will have to commute something like 30 minutes to my school each way, but it is about 10 degrees cooler up here in the mountains near Kiyosato. In my next post, I hope to have a video tour of my new place and let you all see what kind of world I will be living in (and what kind of accommodations you can expect if you come visit). I live right behind a preschool and beyond that on either side, it is forest. This means bugs (bug post to come).

2 comments:

Kate said...

Love the blog! I can't wait to read (and see, pictures-wise) more!

I'm glad you're doing this.

Liz said...

Since you live in Jurassic park let's take time to revisit the important life lessons we learned from the film:
1: Water vibrations=no bueno
2: Missing people? Assume they're dead and cut your losses.
3: If a helicopter ride seems too good to be true, it is.
4: Raptors can open doors, so you're really never safe.
5: For hell's sake, don't make a trilogy of it.


(see, we should make a funny blog together)