Friday, August 12, 2011

Off to the Park

So...it has been a few days since I posted, probably because I have been busy eating gyoza, napping and reading. Japan is awesome sometimes. So I went to a park just down the road from my house and I took a few pictures. It is weird being the only white person, alone in a park. Kinda makes me feel like a creeper. But whatev right?

 This is a little charming...water wheel thingy attached to the giant koi pond
 Hmm...this picture may not have turned out as I would have liked it to for some reason. There is a nice waterfall and the pond is on the bottom that you can see.

 This is a picture of the koi. They are massive! There is only one gold one that I could see...The rest are all black and look like giant carp. People feed them, and they all wrestle on top of each other to get at the food. Not attractive fish. Not attractive at al.
 Here is a little charming pattern that the gardeners have carved into the hillside. The hills literally smile in Japan.
 Funny story about this. What flavor would you say these chips are? Can you read Japanese? If you can, you would know. I was in a hurry and thought, "Those would be delicious, I should procure some for my culinary enjoyment." I purchased them and got home to watch some TV. I popped 5 in my mouth and immediately found out my mistake. These chips are not Sour Cream and Onion as I would have supposed....They were Wasabi. It was a hot, unfortunate mistake. 
And for Cyndi, and fans of all cephalopods, this is an octopus tentacle that you can purchase. It is even 30% off.

6 comments:

Liz said...

ha! A koi pond! Michael Scott!

Anonymous said...

Oh- Didn't I warn you that you can't pick chips (or any snack) in Japan by color? We see red and think "barbeque" when it is probably shrimp or something, or as you found out, green is NOT sour cream and onion. Good luck with that :) Sometimes they have helpful pictures...

Mak

Anonymous said...

I suspect a wasabi related mistake is a right of passage for foreigners in japan. At least you were where you could get a drink. I am pretty sure I actually lost tastebuds. BTW, a few times, I chose something that was packaged in pink wrapping and found that it was shrimp flavored. Ew. If you can find Salad Pretz (sp? jen?) I still dream about them sometimes. they are like long, thin crackers. Also, remember that if anyone offers you 'taco' (or tako?). It is NOT a cheesy, mexican delight. It is octopus legs with the suckers still attached. You have been warned.

Jen said...

The tiny picture of the wasabi root in the top left of the label gave it away for me before I even read it! Hothothothot!

As for the smiling Japanese hill, I can only express myself in Japanglish:

Smile to your life! Happy drive! I think that it will always be with smile. Then, a pleasant thing comes.

janemkinsel said...

I'll wager you will conquer some wasabi before you leave! Please try a Tako" and report.

How come so many have to log in anonymous? Dad was having trouble.

Anonymous said...

anonymous was me (cyndi). Blogger doesn't want me to comment anywhere for some reason.