Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cowboy Up

Ever since I was a little kid, I have enjoyed (and it may be my favorite food) what my Dad calls "Cowboy Potatoes." My dad has been making cowboy potatoes for about as long as I have been alive (I think). I remember him telling me that he would tell me how to make them when I got older. Now I am older, and I got the secrets. The first attempt I made wasn't that great, but I will get better. 
My first attempt. Looks good, but not the same. I forgot to mention that there is a song that goes with it 
Cowboy potatoes, cowboy potatoes
cowboy potatoes are so good for yyyyooooooouuuu

Now the secret has been passed on, and I have years to perfect it. Someday, you may be lucky enough for me to make it for you someday. 
I found a bakery on my way home from work that I visited for the first time. Clearly you can see this sign says that it is a bakery.
 Nice looking eh? I wouldn't mind living there. 
 Whatever wacky and nasty things that Japan may do with sea creatures, they make up for it with their bakery items. The Japanese word for bread is the French word for bread. Unfortunately, it looks like the French beat America/England to the punch when it comes to bakery goods in the Land of the Rising Sun...can't win them all I suppose. 
The best news is that I finally round a reliable source for Pan au Chocolat! My most favorite pastry since I worked at the bakery in Midway, I can now say that I have scoured the globe looking for it. It is the reason I stopped in this bakery in the first place. It was my favorite thing in Paris. This place does it pretty well (it is the one on the right). On the left is a cheese roll. It is pretty much like it sounds, but the cheese quality is not up to snuff. As a general rule, the cheese in Japan is...not good and expensive. 
 Speaking of food...here is a picture in the bathroom. In Japan, you take off your shoes and put on bathroom slippers. I guess I can see the hygienic value in this. It makes less sense when you see the size of the slippers they provide as compared to my (evidently) monstrous feet. I end up just barely being able to balance on the balls of my feet as I shuffle to go to the bathroom. I feel like a bathroom ballerina. 
 The kids were practicing a telephone conversation over the last week, and this was the sample sheet that they were given. I don't know if I should take it as a warning or not. Perhaps my Japanese Teacher of English can see the future...

A: Hello?
B: Hello. This is Hiromi (The name of my JTE). May I speak to Jeff, please? 
A: Speaking. Hi, Hiromi! What's up?
B: Oh, Jeff! I'm in Nagasaka Junior High now. You have to come to school today! I'm waiting for you.
A: Oh! I'm Sorry. I was sleeping! What time is it?
B: It's 9 o'clock. The class will start!
A: Now I leave home. Please wait for me!
B: Ok. Be careful.

I solemnly swear that this did not happen. I hope this is supposed to be a funny hypothetical, rather than a serious one. 
Lastly, related to bathrooms. I walked by my shower to find not one, but two crickets bouncing around in there. What is that all about?! Where are these things coming from? The next day there was a bug genocide on the floor. I saw 7 dead bucks on the floor the next morning. I feel like they are plotting something against me. 



3 comments:

Liz said...

I've always wanted a french pastry. I've always wanted to go to france. This post just reminded me of all my failed life goals.
Thanks a lot.

janemkinsel said...

This post made my day! Everything is amusing!!! Do they have toilet police? What happens if you don't change shoes?

Anonymous said...

Oh liz, you may never know the joy of having Gypsies eyeball you at dusk while the Eiffel Tower looms in the background, or walking past the scary homeless shelters as you try to find your way back to a train station.

Brad