Tuesday, November 29, 2011

If You're Having Fun, You Aren't Learning


This wise saying is on the blackboard in the classroom in the movie "Matilda." I warn you now, much of this post concerns that movie, as I just watched it. For me, this was a movie that I have watched for years and years. It came out in 1996, and I would imagine that I have been watching it since then. I would have been 9 when it came out, but I remember watching it often because it came on TV. After watching it again, I realized that I can still quote the whole thing. 

Directed by Danny DeVito, I forgot how good this movie really is. I have always been a fan of Roald Dahl books (I feel like he should have had a penname...if you write children's books, don't have a name like Roald, get a name like Dr. Seuss), and this one always ranked high on my list. I find it especially interesting with books that we grow up with. For me, this was one of those books/movies. If you have never seen it, gather your kids (or not) and watch it. To this day, I have a hard time thinking of a worse villain than the seemingly superhuman and horrifying Trunchbull. 
This screenshot is during a part of the movie where she is chasing Matilda and Miss Honey...it gets me every time. It still makes me feel a little stressed that they are going to get caught. 

I posted on Facebook a few days ago that I felt like throwing 2 of my students into the Chokey, a device the Trunchbull uses for discipline in her school, Crunchem Hall. A few of y'all commented with your favorite lines from the movie and it stuck with me. I nostalgia-ed myself and immediately felt the need to watch it. 

Among the most notorious lines is the "You can do it, Brucie" line where a boy is accused of stealing chocolate cake and is forced to eat a giant cake in front of the whole school. I seem to remember thinking as a kid that I was like Brucie, and I could get fame and glory from my schoolmates if someone would just challenge me to eat a chocolate cake!
Look at old Brucie. You would be hard pressed to be that happy on a daily basis. 

On to Miss Honey. Miss Honey is the sweet teacher that saves Matilda from the wicked Trunchbull. Miss Honey (naturally she is sweet...get it?) and Matilda help each other and they live happily ever after. As a side note, the ending montage song is by Rusted Root called "Send Me On My Way" and it is one of my very best songs to brighten your day. I distinctly remember having a crush on Miss Honey at some point watching the movie growing up. Now that I am all grown, I can confirm that I have a crush on Miss Honey. As a plus, she has a really nice big old house that she inherits...so...there is that. 
90's fashion aside, doesn't she just look nice? 

(Immediately after posting this, I looked up this actress on IMDB and she was in Schindler's List as well as ARMY OF DARKNESS! Amazing)

I highly recommend this movie, and I am suspicious that this is going to start me on a Roald Dahl reading kick for the next few weeks. I guess that is good since I have 0 classes all day tomorrow because of testing. Serenity now. 



1 comment:

Liz said...

Jon has never seen this movie! But I always say, "Much too good for children" whenever I'm eating a chocolate. It's natural.