Saturday, February 4, 2012

Coming Soon

So I decided that I need some exercise in my life. Weird right? I could even consent to salad, but I don't know how to find a dressing I like in America, let alone in a country where they are sneaky about putting fish in everything. I have a goal to climb Fuji later this year. It is a task. One that I am sure I can do, but I don't want to have it take all day/night and never be able to walk again. So I have sought out my old mistress...the stationary bike. I have a had a few go-rounds with the lovely circular demon, but I am taking it up a notch...like Emeril BAM! The goal is to actually look less like Emeril...ZING!

I took to biking a few years ago with a wise tutor named Stu who pushed me to near blackouts on the stationary bike. After about a month, we were riding for 26 miles at time in about 70 minute sessions. I learned a lot from him and I was even bequeathed much of his music selection when I graduated college. One thing that he made a great point about was the fact that I am a big guy (news flash). This makes running problematic for me since I have never really been good at it and have a history with bad knees. The solution then is something that is lower impact. On a stationary bike, you choose the resistance, but there is far less impact on your joints. 

Long story short, I debated this for a few weeks, and I pulled the trigger yesterday at work. I ordered a stationary bike off of Japanese Amazon. The best part about living in Japan is that the standard shipping method is essentially overnight. I ordered it at 11 am on Friday and it showed up on my doorstep on Saturday at 12. They even do COD orders so you don't have to use a card. I spent the evening setting it up and finding a new place for it. After that I took a little practice ride. Needless to say, I am having to start from scratch again. A 13 minute, 3.5 mile ride was good enough for me. I will keep you updated on my progress or something. 

The product picture. Soon I am going to look as fit as that Japanese lady! I know what you are thinking, and yes the bike is a little short, but it will work. More flex than I would like in my legs, but better than trying to run in 25 degree weather (also, I am pretty sure that running is slow torture made up by a select few to make the rest of the world feel inadequate).

2 comments:

Liz said...

Jon was jealous. And then he found out it was asian size, and now he's not. He thinks the jokes on you.

...until you climb Fuji of course, and make us all look like losers

JM said...

Good for you. It'll put you in great shape for the climb.

I would have given so much to have the Amazon options that you enjoy. Makes a world of difference in staying there, I think.