Thursday, August 4, 2011

First Food Post

As you may know, food is important to live. I have eaten food while I have been in Japan, and I have yet to eat something that is not the best of whatever it is that I have ever had. Does that make sense? These people seem to have cornered the market on tasty foods. I find myself eating stuff that I would have picked out back in the states. Here, with their ninja-black-magic, they make vegetables of all kinds taste delicious. I have been taking pictures of most of the things I have eaten thus far. I will explain as we go:

 Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture until I had started eating...because it was so good. This is a pork ginger sautee dish with veggies and some pork at a restaurant near my house called Country Kitchen Robin
 This it the same dish once it had made friends with the rice
It came with a salad that was super delicious 
This is the decor of the Country Kitchen Robin. It is entirely western themed and makes me feel at home 
 Very cabin-in-the-woods esque
 For some reason, there was a scooter parked inside, also, they were playing Bob Marley...usually they play country, but not this night
 This is the ramen that I forgot to take a picture of until I was half done and it might be the best thing I have eaten thus far in Japan. It was raining outside, and we could hear thunder. It had pork int it and the noodles delicious! Not bad for 7 dollars.
This it outside of an ice cream shop. I have mentioned (maybe) that I live essentially in a cloud. Fog rolls in fairly often and leaves it spooky like this. 
Yeah, I probably should have warned you about the vulgarity here. This is an advertisement for some kind of candy (I think) that is poo shaped. You will see why in a minute.  
 Japan is famous for the different flavors of Kit-Kat bars. There are something like 89 different regional flavors. These were blueberry cheesecake and some kind of regional apple. Both were delicious.
 Ah...the Poop Ice Cream. This stand is a play on Japanese words (I am told). The word for poop is Kuso and the word for ice cream is sofuto kurimu (soft cream). This place is called kusofuto. Mixing poo and ice cream, get it? Anyway, there is a little turd in there with the chocolate ice cream, and the spoon has a fly on the end of it. To top it all off, it is served in a little plastic squat toilet.
 Yep...
 This was at a Korean style place we went to where they let you cook your own meat in the grill in the middle of the table (seen below)
 There is some kind of Japanese pumpkin in there with a green pepper and chicken
 This magnificent wonder is called bibinba. It is a mix of some veggies, rice, cheese, some kind of meat and a raw egg cracked over the top of it
Served in a skillet, the egg cooks up as you mix it all around, it was phenomenal. It tasted like Christmas for some reason 
Japanese McDonalds. This was my journey for the day, to go get a Big Mac. Delicious and familiar. The fries were very good and very fresh. Told you the food was all good. 
This is most of a little squid served on a stick in a package that I found in a grocery store. I did not eat this. Nor shall I. Sorry Japan, but this is nasty.

7 comments:

janemkinsel said...

Food is quite an adventure! Glad you aren't a picky eater and can appreciate and are willing to try new things. You quest should be to find the strangest food for us Yanks! It will have to be amazing to beat the Poo Ice Cream!!

Kate said...

That poop ice cream is awesome! Seriously, talk about taking a theme and running with it. I love it!

Mak said...

Wow- I'm so jealous. I haven't been to many countries, but Japan was awesome for little "Oh my gosh" kind of things. The poo ice cream?!? Flavor kit kat?!? So jealous! We went to one of those 'grill at your table' places- it was great. I agree- I think all the food we had in Japan was awesome, come to think of it. I really liked the bread and cheese we had, too.

Liz said...

I don't understand how that ice-cream sells. How could anybody really eat it with that on their mind? So weird. Also, my bet is all that fog is because you're living in M. Night Shyamalan's The Village.

Jen said...

Nothing like a Big Mac after a wild week of food adventuring! That binbinba looks good!

Japan is always a contrast of sublime and silly, isn't it?

Now we know what that little toilet was for at the junk shop -- make your own ice cream at home.

Anonymous said...

Great Post. Good pictures.

Now your job is to learn how to make your favorites as best you can so you can share them with us (except you can forget the poop ice cream!). Dad

Anonymous said...

I would like to request as many flavors of kit kats as you can smuggle home along with the boy's Katana swords, which they have asked me to remind you about so that they can leave me alone about it :-)
I'm glad you like the food so far. I know I am picky but Japan was the scene for some of the wierdest food I hope I ever have to eat (including horse and little squids...) Cyndi