Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I'm An Idiot

This may come as a surprise to some, but I am a fool. Often time s I do things that are silly. Today I discovered one of those things. I am a pretty religious diet-soda-only drinker. I go to great pains to avoid drinking pure sugar. The reason for that is easy. I don't want to get diabetes and I enjoy my calories coming from things that are fried when I can help it.  I buy my soda in bulk because it comes in a box rather than an individual bottle. In Japan, it is nearly impossible to find a 2 Liter bottle of anything. Consequently, I go through many 1.5 liter bottles. 

Today after I rode the bike (new best for the new year, 32 minutes, 20km), I noticed the label of one of the bottles I had on the floor. Turns out that I have been drinking a fair bit of sweet sugary Pepsi Twist without the sweet diet nature. Oops. I have been drinking enough calories to cancel out bike riding...so that is cool. 

In my defense, the bottles look nearly identical. The color schemes are the same. I wish I could blame it on the face that I live in Japan and the label is in Japanese, but it isn't. I just missed it. Although, I have noticed myself being generally less observant about things since living in Japan. I tune it out because I cant understand anything anyway. I have also picked up a nasty habit of not listening because I assume no one is speaking English (which I am right about 99.9 percent of the time). 

For tonight's entertainment, I am watching the 25th anniversary of the Phantom of the Opera production that was performed at Royal Albert Hall and broadcast around the world. I highly recommend it. I have a friend who is borderline obsessed with the show (Hi Cody!), and his enthusiasm has worn off on me. Before I left for Japan, we had a great weekend in Vegas and we went to see the Phantom showy thing at the Venetian. I also saw the show when I was little with my mom and sisters, and it is the only show I have been to see on Broadway. I still remember going on family road trips and my sisters would listen to the tape. My memories of the adventures on the road are inseparably combined with Phantom and the Tillamook cheese factory (squeaky cheese for the win!).

25 years old makes it just older than me by less than a year. It would seem that pretty awesome/long-lasting things were made in the late 80s. 

2 comments:

Liz said...

I'm so glad you call it squeaky cheese too! I've started to call it cheese curds just because nobody knows what I'm talking about when I saw squeaky cheese. Also, i didn't know Cody was obsessed with Phantom. This does not help his case of convincing us he's heterosexual.

Cody Alderson said...

Hey now, if you can't appreciate Phantom then you have other issues. I'm glad Jeff can appreciate Phantom unlike other ill-refined friends we have...Elizabeth!