Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lunchtime Lesson

Today I learned a series of valuable lessons. I will now outline them here for you. I learned them during lunchtime in the cafeteria of my junior high school. 

Lesson the First! First lesson is that while difficult, eating penne pasta with chopsticks can be quite gratifying. 

Lesson the Second! The second lesson is about the instructions we were delivered via PowerPoint for 20 minutes at the end of lunch. The lesson was on how to wash your hands. The lesson was presented in Japanese. I am not a doctor, but if the instructions made sense like I think they did in my head, the Japanese are on a whole other playing field when it comes to hand washing. If I were to rate them on an intensity scale of 1-10, they would receive a 9.7. They also followed this up with a lot of pictures of fingerprints. It was not an episode of CSI...I think. Lesson the Second was lost on me though. Why you ask? Because the Japanese have no paper towels in the bathroom. At all. I guess you are supposed to bring your own. 

Lesson the Third! The most important lesson came as I pondered over my bowl of soup. Today's soup was rather bland, relying primarily on the cabbage to bring the flavor train. The flavor train was delayed. Sure there were some potatoes in there too, but potatoes doesn't make something delicious. The best part of the soup was the cut up sausages in it. Japan really does sausages well by the way. This fact is important to the lesson.  

I, being wise and frugal, was saving the best part of the soup for last (the sausages). I like it because it leaves me feeling like I had something really good to eat, rather than something not very good with a few highlights. As I hoarded my sausage at the top of the bowl, what must have been a highly localized earthquake came and shook my seat only. This caused me to lose hold of the bowl and dump it out all over the table/floor. Due to the lack of towels mentioned in Lesson 2, I was stuck. I ended up getting some help and one teacher even got me a new bowl of soup. Alas, this bowl of soup lacked even one piece of sausage, and mine had rolled on the floor. 

So I came up with this philosophy as I choked down my garbage...er...cabbage. Life is a lot like soup. You can save up the good things until the end or 'later,' but you never know when you are going to lose hold of your soup (die). Therefore, you should take every opportunity to be wise with your sausages for they are the flavor of life. Take the opportunities as they come, and plan for ones in the future. I will leave it to you (faithful readers) to determine what the sausage of life is. For me, it is probably different than you. Essentially, take the opportunities you have in good time instead of pushing them off to tomorrow. 

Also. Wash your hands.

P.S. Have you ever eaten an orange that had seeds inside? I have not...until today. Why would you serve polluted fruit? I feel that as a planet, we deserve seedless oranges and grapes for all. 

4 comments:

Liz said...

Wow, that was like...a sermon. Put that one in your homecoming talk folder.

Anonymous said...

Old Chinese proverb covers this one. "Life is short. Eat desert (or sausages) first."

Glad you finally learned this lesson.

Dad

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

HAHAHAHA!!! Dude, I laughed for nearly a minutes straight when reading this. playing over and over in my head... When you get back we need to have a big BBQ or something, with lots of tastiness!

-Tony