Friday, August 26, 2011

Internet Problems

So I know that you ravenous wolves are at the door salivating for the opportunity to read some more observations of mine in Japan. By ravenous wolves, I really mean my family and Liz. Well, here we are. I am having internet problems at home currently. Before you get worked up and storm the offices of the Japanese internet company, it`s ok. I am online now at work with not a whole lot to do (students are testing today). So I am left with some time to update you on what is going on.

Yesterday I went to school for the first time for a full day. Overall, it was good and bad. I met the other teachers, which was good. The unfortunate part was trying to talk to...anyone. It turns out that I don`t speak Japanese. While this is not news to me, it seems to be news to them. Despite my best efforts to tell them that I don`t understand, they just rattle away in Japanese. It is quite frustrating. Consequently, I am trying harder to learn Japanese words and perfecting my blank stare.

On my drive to work, I saw Fuji again, and when I got to work, I was able to see it out the window from where I sit. That only lasted for about 15 minutes before the clouds rolled in and covered it up. They say Fuji is very shy. Whatevs. If I were a famous mountain, everyone would bask in my glory 24/7.

I went to the sunflower festival by myself which was relatively fun. I will upload some pitures, but I think I missed the good part of the festival by a few days because the flowers looked sad and dying. I did have sunflower ice cream and got a few pictures of one field of flowers. Not to be jaded or anti-botanist, but flowers aren`t terribly interesting on their own merits. Did you know that? I suspected, but now I know for sure. Also, we always considered sunflowers weeds when I was growing up. Corn on the other hand, that is a plant! It is delicious, interesting and you can make mazes out of it!

With that corny ending, I will conclude, satistfied that your thirst has been quenched for now.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Ravenous wolf. Don't be too complimentary towards your readers.

Jeff Kinsel said...

Wolves are devastatingly smart, rare and have beautiful fur/hair. What do you think of my compliment now?

Liz said...

I feel foolish for ever questioning it, of course.

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way about the tulip festival in Washington, its just flowers....lots and lots of flowers.

RBK

Anonymous said...

Ha! Corny! Love it :) I think you should proably put learning "I don't know any Japanese" high on your list of japanese things to learn :)

Mak

PS blogspot sucks. Now it is telling me that I'm me and I need to log out to comment because I'm not allowed to read your blog. I had a funnier and way more clever comment but the moment passed.