Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Softball Mormons, Bugs and Halloween Month

Sometimes, in the fall in Japan, Mormons will get together and play softball. It is very important, as you can tell. The whole stake gathered to play. Sadly, we lost both games. I must say that almost all of it was not my fault.
I am in this picture with some missionaries. 
 These are the Hargers, their dad is from the U.S. and their mom is Japanese. They are super cool.
 Elder Shiozawa who is currently in my area.
 MoMo's in action (momo means peach in Japanese)
 Meta-picture
 The sisters based in my area
 As you can see, I was working very hard (see the Kindle) at my elementary school when a bug came and flew into my head. Yeah. This fly just ran into my forehead and fell on the table and twitched for a minute. My instincts told me that this was bizarre, so I took a picture. About 1 minute after this picture was taken, the fly just got up and flew off. 
I took a drive around my city and saw this giant pumpkin (not a real pumpkin, trickery). 
Paul Rusch is a famous guy because he saved everyone from starving a few decades back. To honor him, they have this big organ on the back of a truck for some reason. My guess is that this organ represents his bodily organs which are dead. The advantage of this organ pictured is that it can't die.  
 Tractors are very chic this time of year.
Happy Halloween month because who wants to celebrate for just a day? 
A horse made of logs. We should start selling these at Swiss Days. 
As for the most bizarre thing I saw over the weekend, here is a toilet equipped with a button for flushing noises. You push that button and the toilet will make simulated flushing noises for 25 seconds. Someone explain to me in what universe this would be needed when it is attached to an actual toilet!?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what is a softball mormon?

RBK

Liz said...

If you're only in there pretending to go to the bathroom. For example, if you've really gone in there to read, or cry, or take a nap (all of which I did at one point while working at SUU), it's awkward to just walk out all of the sudden, so I would flush first. But in a water-conscious place like Japan, they allow you to have the appearance of flushing without wasting the clean water.
I can't believe I just wrote that much on something I'm making up.

Kate said...

I love the story about the fly knocking itself out by flying into your forehead. That's so, like, what the what?

Anonymous said...

I think this story (re: the flushing sound)came from Jen when we visited Japan. If not, then it came from my roommate who also went. Japanese women are embarrassed to have others hear them go to the bathroom, so they would flush the toilet to cover the (ahem) sounds. This was wasting a lot of water, so some bathrooms came equipped with a way to preserve the sensibilities of people using public restrooms without wasting water. I totally forgot I knew that.... Cyndi