Sunday, September 4, 2011

Denny's and Camping

So, here again I have a list of items I have yet to expound on, and I am going to do it all at once. Here follows many pictures of the most interesting quality and selection. 
Denny's in Japan. Pretty...ya know. I decided that I should go check it out, probably a mistake. 
 I got the club sandwich. The whole sandwich was pretty good, the rest of the selections were curry.
 Ketchup
The view from my table. It had a very pink feeling about the whole place. It was kind of kitschy (as all good Denny's should be). 
 Little tidbit: Denny's in Japan is owned by the same company that owns 7-11. What goes together better than a convenience store infamous for its greasy food and slurpees, and an American restaurant known for its greasy food and not much else? 
 Speaking of 7-11, they are all over. This is the one near my house. They have corndogs there too, but they call them Big American Dogs. It was good, not great. The taste was a little too heavy on the corn and didn't focus enough on the dog. 
I went to a clothing store, and these are the men's tracksuits. Yeah. Men's. I have yet to run into someone wearing a Hello Kitty tracksuit, but I have a feeling that is is going to happen.  

Also, this thing. Little tidbit...in Japan, tracksuits are considered dressier than jeans. Go figure.  

On to camping:
 The campground we visited last weekend for an opening party, looks nice right? Almost impossible to find, and terrifyingly close to falling off a cliff while driving. 
 The campground alternated between being terrifying and charming. This is a nice sign showing that they are friendly with horse lovers. 
 I found the way to Easy Street in Japan. You can see my car parked there on Easy Street.
 Ah, here is the terrifying part. This is a makeshift aqueduct that flows all the way down to this bathtub which overflows onto the ground. 
Here is a stage where they have DJ's set up for rave parties sometimes. Nothing like a rave in the woods (or so I am told). 
"Are you from Dixie? Well, I'm from Dixie..."  
 Bamboo lanterns made by floating a candle in water inside a bamboo shoot.
 Both charming and creepy. 
 An ominous swingset overlooking some of the camping space and bunkhouses.
Oh yes, the camground had crap all over it. Who doesn't love a fine selection of tires and wood?  
Inside one of the bunkhouses 
Old western-y pictures were up all over making it feel like it is 1904 again in the booming silvertowns. 
The befabled beer corner, where you can go for beer. 
 The campsite vending machine, makes sense right? Nature...vending machine...
 THE TOILET OF 100 YEARS AGO! This thing just screams class and confusion. The spraypainted sign is one good indicator of class, the other...
 ...is this little beauty. Nestled next to the Speed Racer poster is the sign for Sex Drive. And Welcome to our house. Quaint doesn't begin to explain.
The Engrish outside the ladies room. 
Another quaint and confusing sign warning you to remove any buildup of defecation off your shoes before entering the BBQ pit. 
Spiders. These little buggers are everywhere. Giant and freaky, they are all over the train station, as mentioned in a previous post.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you went camping at the wild west/mining town part of the Hogle Zoo train :) And Dennys? Always a mistake.

Mak

Liz said...

Love that DEl Beatty's influence has reached Japan. (Like how I spelled his first name right?) I love Engrish!

Kate said...

I really, really want you to buy and wear a Hello Kitty track suit. You would be so freaking awesome. I'm completely serious. You must do that. Freaking. Awesome.

Oh, and I hate it when the corn to dog ratio is messed up. I haven't actually eaten a corndog in over three years, but I have a good memory.

Anonymous said...

Wait until you come across a pretzel dog (same as a corn dog but with pretzel wrapped around it.) Good stuff. And I agree with Kate. I will send you an amazing care package if you will wear a hello kitty suit to school. cyndi

Jeff said...

If I can find a Hello Kitty tracksuit anywhere near my size, I will consider it...

Anonymous said...

What a broadening cultural experience you are having! Couldn't get any of this kind of perspective at home.

I agree on the track suit. But you have to get a picture of you wearing it at shool. Care package would follow.

Dad