Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Memorable Memorial

Today was quite a milestone for me here in Japan. I arrived in Japan on July 24th, 2011. Today is January 24th, 2012. 6 months ago I got to Japan, and 6 months from today I will be done working here. It seems a bit surreal when I think about it. My time here has felt like the blinking of an eye, and 3 or 4 lifetimes at the same time. 

To celebrate this auspicious occasion, my elementary school decided to serve my least favorite meal imaginable (yay!). We had nasty Chinese snot and egg soup (as mentioned in an earlier post). We also had whole, deep fried fishes (and you were expected to eat the tail...like eating the whole shrimp). To accompany these monstrosities, we had slimy bean sprout and spinach salad. To top it all off, for dessert, we had dehydrated sweet potato straw snacks (they were uncomfortably crunchy and not delicious). 
 Here is a memory of a happier time (last week) when I tried a bacon-wrapped hot dog. Was it delicious? Yes. Would I eat it again? If you don't know the answer to this, you are invited to leave my blog right now. Finally Japan does pork products right!
I saw this little little beauty in the parking lot of the J-Mart. Sweet right? It is a John Deere mobile. I wish I had it, I would get all the ladies. Ladies like tractors right (country music tells me that they do)?

Next up, the post about skiing in Nagano.

4 comments:

Liz said...

GROSS! I thought that was a picture of a Popsicle you bought yourself to celebrate. A bacon wrapped hot dog? Disgusting.
Yay! Only 6 months to go!

CKW said...

No offense, but that is the most revolting looking thing I have ever seen (but no offense ;-) If you don't post by tomorrow, I am going to assume you have died of heart failure from that.

Cyndi

janemkinsel said...

Cancel the chatting we had about health exam results....?

Of course, after that lunch, anything should go!!

Anonymous said...

Girls dont understand bro, it looks dericious!

RBK