Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Nagano-way Jose

I will get this out of the way immediately. I did not meet someone named Jose in Nagano last weekend. I just needed a catchy title (achieved). Last weekend, I went to Nagano with a bunch of other foreigners (105 to be exact). It was a gaijin-explosion! We rented out an entire hotel and went skiing at the Hakuba47 Resort. 
 The morning of the trip, it snowed in Kiyosato. I didn't have to work because it was the anniversary of my Junior High. So I spent the day lazing about and watching the Jazz game. They lost, and I was super mad. 
 This is the view outside our hotel, the Lady Diana and St. George. 
 The Lady Diana, or as I called it, the Dirty Diana (like the song, clever right?).
 The St. George. Not as nice, in actuality it was the dirtier of the two. Our accommodations were super Japanese. I slept on a futon on the floor with 7 other guys. It made for a terrible night of sleep.
 Up on the mountain. You can see me rocking the super sweet SUU sweater. What is crazy about this picture is that it was taken in a place with no daylight. We figure the pure power of my spirit is what is shining behind me. Also in the picture is Matt, Matt, and James (in the hat). 
The resort was really neat. There was a storm hitting the mountain when we got there, but we took a chairlift and actually got far above it and could look down at the roof. It was pretty neat. 
 Getting ready to go down. I ended up skiing most of the day with no hat or goggles. I am sure that it was quite a sight for all the Japanese people to see a white bald guy tearing it up out there. I didn't feel dressed right for skiing, but it worked. 
 Another picture, but we swapped out James for Lana. We took this picture here because there was a recycled steel statue of Alien and Predator strung with lights. Makes total sense right? It does if you live in Japan... 
 My attractive face. You see at the buckle on my shoulder a pocket for a cell phone. I had used this to put my ski pass in. The ski pass is a little electronic chip that you scan at every lift entrance. This was the most sensible place to put mine. The only problem is that the scanners were about 4.5 feel high. Every time I got on a lift, I had to stoop down and rub my chest on it until it let me through. It looked a lot like I was trying to chest-bump a little person every time I got on the lift. 
 This was chilling back at the hotel. We visited the onsen after a long day of skiing. My feet had become numb and bruised by the boots which were too small. Most unfortunate. An onsen is like a Roman bath (I think). It is like a hot tub, but only dudes...and you are naked. You also wash and shower totally before getting in. It was an experience to say the least, but after a day of skiing, any hot water is welcome. 
 This is a picture of me on Sunday watching the Jazz game on my phone. I am fairly to extraordinarily intense during games...
A tour around the Lady Diana.
 The night after skiing, we had a big dinner arranged by the hotel. Hamburger steak, Some kind of fish, some kind of roast, salad stuff and some potato wedges. Food of kings I say. 
 Ah yes...then the drinking. Apparently the allure of this weekend is not actually the skiing, but the crazy party that goes on afterwards. Here you can see they are starting with a drinking game. 
 Chatting and having a good time.
 The guy in the green shirt is Fred. Fred is in charge of the trip and has been the resident expert on all things in Yamanashi for many years. 
Also, people wore cute pajamas. This is Nick. He is Canadian, so we will let it slide.  
 The annual ski trip boat race. A boat race is a drinking contest where you race to finish your beers one at a time moving down the line before the other team. Every year it is a contest between America and the rest of the world. Every year (nearly) America loses. 
 Getting ready, the Americans are on the far side. Not being a drinker, but being a proud citizen of the USA, I was looking forward to a good American showing. 
 Conor is the captain of the American team, and he is wearing a super awesome shirt. It features Lex Luger, a famous professional wrestler from the late 90's. 
 It ended up being a very close race, with 3 lead changes, but the Americans won by a half a beer. It is the first time in 5 years that the Americans have even come close (yay for us?).
After the win, there was much rejoicing and rage. You would have thought we just won the SuperBowl. 
Oh beautiful for spacious skies,
for amber waves of grain
we beat another ther countries best
at intoxicating our brains!
America, America thy patriots we'll be,
No drinking game, can we not tame.
Go go gadget land of the free...

Overall, I didn't fall down once, and I have nearly regained full motion in my legs. Fun times to be had, and despite 6 years away from skiing, the kid has still got it!

2 comments:

JM said...

Looks like such a neat trip. Nagano looks lovely and the resort seems great. Did you pretend you were an Olympic skiier on that Olympic slope?

More about the onsen, please! Not in a pervy way but as a cultural thing.

Liz said...

I, for one, have never been more proud of my country (lies). You should have participated. It's a cultural thing, you could have totally let it slide.