Monday, January 16, 2012

King O' English

Today I had an interesting experience with a teacher asking me (professor of English knowledge) about what air quotes are. She approached me and asked what it meant when you do "this" with your fingers in the air. I had a devil of a time trying to explain what that meant, but I think I got her on to the idea. 

This made me realize that when I try to explain complicated concepts to people that don't speak English well, I sound like an idiot. The video that immediately came to my mind was this very popular video:


The reason I think I sound so stupid is the words that I feel that I have to use. Never in the course of regular conversation with other English speakers do I feel such a desire to use every big word I have ever learned. I think it is some kind of disorder. Somehow while discussing air quotes, I really wanted to use the word ubiquitous. 

After discussing the nuances of air quotes, we got discussing sarcasm. Sarcasm is a difficult thing to discuss with native English speakers, but it is extra difficult with someone who has English as a second language. But I think that...it like...was...really good...like...such as...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember in Holland I was asked why Britny Spears was asking someone to hit her in her song ('Hit me baby, one more time...'). That was fun to explain, but I think air quotes would be harder :-)
Cyndi