Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Night and Look-a-like

Tonight was that most auspicious of occasions when I venture into the nearby city to do my laundry. Glamorous right? you think that living abroad is all eating gross things and taking fabulous vacations. I have to do regular person things too! Anyway, I went into Nirasaki to use the dryers at the laundromat. In the meantime, I decided to go to dinner with the only other person in Yamanashi that appreciates country music. Luckily he is a good conversationalist.

Can't figure it out? I am talking about myself. I got talking about country music last week with some other ALTs which got me curious as to who in the prefecture likes the like of Garth, Tim, Alan, and George. I asked on the forums and the answer came back...no one. I am alone here. I knew I stood apart being the only Mormon, Utahan, and Jazz fan, but I didn't think I would be the only one with a fine appreciation for songs that tell the stories of my people. Oh well. I may have mentioned it before, but I feel like I go through double culture shock here in Japan. I have the culture shock of being around other international and different foreigners as well as the Japanese. As to country music, I love it and I think I can help explain why...actually, Jeff Foxworthy does it well in this video: 
I like this video. It is a little high-minded about how great country music, but I think it helps grab some of the essence of how I feel about it. I can't say that I have always been a fan because I haven't. Luckily I dated a girl who liked country music. The girl is long gone, but the music remains. 

While I was waiting for my laundry to dry, I took myself out for a nice dinner at Coco's Restaurant. I went there once with a friend and was super impressed. Here is the think that helps make Coco's so amazing: it has pebbled ice and Coke Zero with all you can drink! That is huge in this country! Also they have some of the best hot chocolate I have ever tasted. I tried my best to drink my weight in it while I was there. Not bad for 189 yen. 
Here you can see the delicious sampler of (surprisingly) delicious sausages, fried chicken, and possibly the best french fries I have had in Japan thusfar. In the picture you can see my hot chocolate and Coke Zero...that is just how I roll.

While I was getting a refill on my sweet Coke Zero, a couple of high schoolers passed by me and said a bunch of things I couldn't understand. One thing I did understand though, suteeben sugaru. I am now an expert at recognizing western words through the Japanese filter and I can tell you with assurity that he was saying Steven Seagal. Yep. I thought to myself, "that is a weird thing to say." The two of them then continued to stare at me as I walked away. They thought I look like Steven Seagal. Cool?
After perusing pictures of Steven Seagal, I should have knocked that kid out with a Steven Seagal karate chop for saying such a slanderous comment.

After my meal and the comment on my look-a-like, I guessed that old Steven Seagal deserved a delicious banana crepe. What Steven Seagal wants, Steven Seagal gets...
I can say this about the night. The conversation was good, and at the end I didn't regret spending money on the activity (which is more than I can say for many dates I have been on...HIYO!). Now I am capping it off by watching the Two Towers. Jealous?

4 comments:

janemkinsel said...

.....and fluffy towels, dry jeans besides! I became a country fan when we lived in Tennessee and clogging!

JM said...

I like Garth Brooks! Jaceson and I have been to two of his concerts!

I don't listen to country music of the 2000s but give me classic late '80s and all '90s country music anytime!

It looks like a lovely restaurant and that banana crepe--mmmm.

I don't see the Steven Seagal resemblance but maybe because he's tall? I think he's well over 6 feet...

Liz said...

I hate two towers. Make it HP or Star Wars, and then I'll support this.

CKW said...

Maybe the stuff they were saying in Japanese was something along the lines of "Americans all look the same to me..." ;-)